Lord Heseltine returned to the Tees Valley today to launch a new Strategic Economic Plan, placing the region at the centre of a new approach to industrial strategy.
Meeting in Darlington, Lord Heseltine was joined by 250 business leaders, and the leaders of the five councils, to reaffirm commitment to the economic growth of the Tees Valley, and to use the opportunities arising from devolution to support a bright future for our region.
With a £12.3 billion economy and world class expertise in chemicals, energy, health innovation and advanced manufacturing, Tees Valley makes a major contribution to the UK economy. The Industrial Strategy for Tees Valley 2016–2026 sets out bold plans to create 25,000 additional jobs, by building on our strengths, improving skills and infrastructure, and supporting business growth.
The plan sets out key priorities and areas of activity over the next ten years including:
- Business Growth – attracting new business, improving access to finance and skills, and growing local business through an expanded Business Compass programme.
- Research, Development, Innovation and Energy – creating centres of innovation and technology, contributing to the UK’s industrial strategy in sectors of expertise; including biologics and materials.
- Education, Employment and Skills –increasing the number of graduate opportunities and vocational training, improving educational outcomes, and increasing the number of young people in education, employment and training.
- Place – creating vibrant town centres and expanding the quality and number of new homes.
- Transport and Infrastructure – plans to improve road, rail and bus services, connect Darlington to HS2, and develop plans for improved East-West connections and an additional Tees Crossing.
- The Circular Economy – proposals to develop a ‘low cost/high productivity/low carbon’ model for industry in Tees Valley, securing new investment by building clusters of companies connected through supply chains and sustainable energy supplies.
Read more at http://neconnected.co.uk/lord-heseltine-launches-tees-valley-industrial-strategy/