- Date of publication:
- Sept 2016
- Series code:
- L23 (fourth edition)
- Download a free copy
Who is this guidance for?
This guidance is mainly for employers, managers and safety representatives, but may also be useful for employees.
- Employers must comply with the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992, as amended by the Health and Safety (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations 2002.
- The guidance explains how to avoid, assess and reduce the risk of injury from manual handling.
Changes since the last edition
- The publication has been restructured into four parts, with the regulations and brief guidance in Part 1 and more detailed guidance to help carry out risk assessments and control risks in Parts 2-4. Colour coding helps to identify the different parts.
- The appendix contains risk filters which help identify those tasks that do not require a detailed assessment. It explains how HSE’s assessment tools can be used as part of the risk assessment process.
- The full risk assessment checklists are now online only and do not appear in the book.
- It reflects changes introduced for the self-employed by the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (General Duties of Self-Employed Persons) (Prescribed Undertakings) Regulations 2015 and the Deregulation Act 2015 (Health and Safety at Work)(General Duties of Self-Employed Persons) (Consequential Amendments) Order 2015.